Thought it would be nice to grow asparagus, it is so expensive in shops! So I bought a bag of seeds,, turns out its 3 years to your first crop!! Ah well to be a gardener is to be patient!! So off I went!
- Soak seeds in cold water for 48 hours prior to planting
- Plant in 3″ peat pots (one seed per pot) sow 1/2 – 3/4 inches deep.
- Water well
- Put pots in polythene bag to germinate (I have mine in the greenhouse!)
- 3 weeks to 3 months to germinate!
- High success level growing from seed – they say
- Plant out (March-April) in prepared well fertilised beds 12-18″ apart to the north of your garden (fern structure can get quite high and pretty!!!) may shade other plants
- Water well in
- Keep weed free
- Let them do their thing
- You don’t want female plants so berries are the identifier! So pull them out if they berry
- The sad part- Do not harvest for 3 years , actually the third year is good..
- Harvest April to June and Can harvest when spears are 4-6″ tall!!! Exciting
- When cutting, cut spears below the soil surface with a sharp knife (being careful with the fingers)
- Cut back ferns in November to about an inch above the ground and compost. And fertilise well then…
- Simple as that…..